POSITION: Field Safety Manager
The field safety manager will report to the safety director assist in the overall supervision and administration of the safety, health, and environmental protection processes on construction projects to maintain a safe and healthy work environment.
As field safety manager, you will:
- Provide expertise and leadership in the anticipation, recognition, and evaluation of safety-related compliance on site, and develop a control methodology for these risks
- Implement and maintain safety procedures and facilitate the site's safety program driving continuous safety performance improvement
- Monitor and audit field activities to ensure safety compliance is being maintained
- Provide oversight of the construction site-specific safety plan (SSSP)
- Facilitate incident investigations
- Issue and assist in preparing safety violation citations
- Serve as the technical expert in executing safe work practices such as fall protection, energy control, confined space, hotwork, and safe work permitting
- Develop and conduct safety and health training for onsite personnel
- Keep current on new developments regarding safety laws, rules and regulations and also regarding protective safety equipment, materials and gear
- Pursue opportunities to participate with cross company groups to develop compliance strategies as well as provide safety and health regulatory support at each of the company
Required Skills and Experience
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- A BS degree in safety and health or related field and 5 years of experience preferably in the high rise construction environment (equivalent combinations of training and related experience will be considered)
- A valid OSHA 30, OSHA 500, CSSS, CSST, CHST or CSP preferred but not required
- Advanced knowledge of and ability to enforce all federal, state, local and company safety regulations required
- The ability to recognize hazardous situations and implement corrective measures
- The ability to interact and engage with a diverse team, and provide win-win solutions that support the company culture
- The ability to work in extreme temperature ranges, to work from heights, to climb ladders, scaffolds, and stairs, walk significant distances, and must have visual ability (corrected or uncorrected) including close and distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and focus adjustments to perform tasks,and to frequently lift and move up to 35 pounds
- Strong analytical and planning skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills (tact, diplomacy, influence, etc.)
- Must be conscientious and able to work independently
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Why join our dynamic team?
James McHugh Construction Co. is a full-service construction company offering a range of services including general contracting, pre-construction, construction consulting, program management, construction management, design-build, and concrete construction. We have the ability and resources to self-perform cast-in-place concrete and rebar placement, carpentry, drywall/acoustical ceilings, minor excavation and general conditions. McHugh’s mission has always been promoting a seamless and positive project experience with excellence and innovation. We are dedicated to the success of our clients, our people, and the McHugh heritage.
Since its founding, James McHugh Construction Co. has earned its reputation as a builder of landmark, one-of-a-kind structures. McHugh’s success is grounded in the company’s dedication to the success of its clients, its people, and the McHugh heritage. McHugh’s mission has always been promoting a seamless and positive project experience with excellence and innovation.
The company was founded in 1897 by James D. McHugh and by the 1920s was established as a general contractor noted for its elaborate masonry work. As it grew with the city, McHugh developed its specialties: high-rise concrete construction and complex, large-scale projects for both the private and public sectors. The company continues to be a family owned business, with the fourth generation of the McHugh family overseeing the continued success of the firm. McHugh pioneered the “3-day cycle” for concrete pours and has been the concrete contractor or general contractor on 9 of the 13 tallest concrete structures in the City of Chicago, 5 of which were the tallest concrete structures in Chicago. Featured McHugh projects include the new Wanda Vista Tower (soon to be 2nd tallest concrete structure in Chicago), Trump Tower, Aqua, Water Tower, the Advocate Center Chicago Bulls Training Facility, the new Blackhawks training facility, the Blackstone Hotel renovation, theWit Hotel, Wolf Point West Tower, the Ferris Wheel at Navy Pier and assorted renovations, and iconic Marina City.
McHugh’s leadership applies to its people as well as its structures. The company was the first in Chicago to bring minorities into the ironworkers' union and first to enter a joint venture with a minority contractor. It is not uncommon for laborers to move up the ladder through the organization; conversely, almost every corporate employee has spent time working in the field. Employees are encouraged to take on additional responsibilities and research and implement innovative approaches, fostering a creative atmosphere where we challenge the norms and promote growth from within. Employees also find a welcoming mix of a family-owned business that understands work-life balance, along with the benefits of working for an industry leader and the 4th largest contractor in the Chicagoland area. With a rich tradition of excellence, innovation and commitment to people, McHugh will continue to be a leader in the construction industry.
James McHugh Construction Co. is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans. Apply for this position by visiting MetroChicagoJobs.com